Due to recent further Covid19 restrictions (Dublin raised to Level 3+) all club organized sailing is cancelled for the next three weeks. This decision will be reviewed at that time or once government advice is updated.
Sailing Secretary, SSC – dated Saturday September 19th, 2020
In light of Level 3 restrictions, Skerries Sailing Club has made the decision, effective immediately, to close all training activity for the next three weeks, including adult racing, adult Just Sailing and junior autumn training.
The Commodore and Committee of Skerries Sailing Club would like to thank all our members and friends for their support during the recent precautionary close down.
We are happy to announce the re-opening of the Club and its activities this week. Punt, Sailing and Refreshment services will re-commence this week as per our social media and newsletter notifications. Please continue to observe all social distancing and traceability guidelines when entering Skerries Sailing Club premises.
Thank you, The Commodore and Committee of Skerries Sailing Club
Update (this colour) – Thursday, 3rd September 2020:
On advice it is notified that Skerries Sailing Club will to be closed for activities through this weekend. We are hopeful of good news through the weekend and will review again on Monday with a view to opening during next week. Updates will be posted via Newsletter distribution and on our social media platforms
The Commodore and Committee of Skerries Sailing Club would like to reassure our members and friends that all policies, procedures and guidelines to safeguard against the spread of Covid 19 have been in place and are being rigidly adhered to by the Club.
The Club was advised prior to last weekend that two of our members had been deemed a “casual contact” of a confirmed case of Covid 19. Those members did not attend the clubhouse from that time.
We have been made aware of the possibility of a local cluster of Covid 19 in the Skerries area. As a precautionary measure all club activities will cease with immediate effect. We will review the situation later in the week, further updates will be posted on this website to keep members advised.
The Commodore and Committee of Skerries Sailing Club
The Commodore, Vice-Commodore and sailing secretary have decided, with consultation of our PRO, that due to the impending forecast coupled with the new Government restrictions it would be the safest option to cancel this years regatta. Many thanks to all volunteers who had put their name forward to help.
Normal club racing will now be taking place Sunday the 23rd instead. Under the new guidelines all sailors participating in racing are asked to be extra vigilant in maintaining social distancing at all times, especially before and after sailing. We would also ask as to avoid congregations/ crowding after sailing that if you are not using the bar-restaurant facility in the downstairs part of the sailing club to avoid the area as to ensure sufficient spacing between tables, pods and groups.
While this is an unfortunate bump in the road we have enjoyed excellent sailing to date, with 28 boats on the water on the Sunday just gone, one of our biggest numbers in recent seasons. The goal from now is to finish out our season in a safe and fun manner.
The following document has been prepared based on latest guidance from the Government of Ireland and Irish Sailing (ISA). With that in mind the Commodore and Committee of Skerries Sailing Club is committed to ensuring compliance with Government pandemic emergency regulations and with the subsequent recommendations of sailing’s governing body, Irish Sailing, but warns members that these provide no guarantee that they will not contract Covid-19 while attending Skerries Sailing Club or participating in racing or volunteering in rescue boats. However, it is the duty of every member while on the SSC premises or on the water participating in SSC organized sailing to uphold personal responsibility to mitigate the dangers of transmitting COVID-19. SSC takes no responsibility should any person contract COVID-19 on SSC premises or partaking in organized sailing activity.
Please note sailing in SSC is not a zero-risk environment.
Members Responsibility Below is an assessment that each member should take when considering going racing or self-observed sailing. Please do not attend the sailing club if you or anyone in your household/ close contacts are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms.
Onshore • Changing rooms will remain closed for Phase 3. All sailors should come dressed for sailing and have towels/ necessary material to use for journey home. This will be reviewed for phase 4. • The Club will continue to remain closed including the bar for phase 3. This will be reviewed for phase 4. • Bathroom facilities will be available, however, to reduce risk we would ask for members to make alternative arrangement where possible. • Social distancing ashore in the yard/ on club premises should always be maintained.
On the Water • The priority for SSC is to run sailing with minimum risk and promotes Social Distancing measures to be maintained and where possible same household crew for multi handers are encouraged. • Sailing can take place with multi household crewed boats in “Pods” (see Irish Sailing document for definition). It is encouraged that boats are crewed by regular crews as much as possible. It is discouraged that last-minute crews/ swapping crews etc take place. • Sailing will only take place if the winds are forecast for 15 knots or lower for the hours racing is expected to take place. This is to ensure no unnecessary rescues are forced to take place should the wind be too strong. This restriction will be reviewed for phase 4. • Racing will be shorter than usual, 30- 40-minute races. It will be recommended to the Race Officers that they use simplified courses such as windward Leeward at least for the first phase. This is to allow minimal contact in rescue and mark laying boats. This restriction will be reviewed for phase 4. • The Race Officer will have ultimate discretion as to run racing and can cancel at any time should they feel necessary. • All Rules of racing as published in the 2019 fixtures list are carried forward to 2020. • Punting will be controlled with small numbers of people at a time, please allow extra time to get to your boat to allow for this. For the safety of the punt driver please maintain social distancing if possible.
Contact Tracing • All members, helm and all crews, who wish to go sailing must register with the sailing secretary via text on the morning/ evening of the race. Preferably by WhatsApp if possible at 0877150071
Boat Rentals • Boat rentals are allowed; however we recommend they are only used on a Wednesday or a Sunday during racing, this is to allow for sufficient time in between uses to mitigate the virus staying on the surfaces in between uses. However we ask those who rent wash down the boat at the start and end of rental.
The Junior Committee are delighted to open registration for the SSC 2020 Junior Training Programme.
We have carefully reviewed government phased reopening guidelines, as well as Irish Sailing Association’s ‘Return to Sailing’. We will continue to review the plans as we receive further advice from the government and ISA. In order to get the sailors on the water we have organised 3 parts as follows:
Part 1: June – online (tutorials, quizzes and games) – Getting Ready to Sail
Part 2: July (replacing the cancelled April spring training) – Sailing for Fun
Part 3: August – Summer ISA Courses (hopefully for all levels)
Irish Sailing have published their interpretation and recommendations for how sailing activities may be resumed for Phase 2 on the 8th of June. A Phase Two roadmap for return to sailing outlines activities and compliance. The SSC sailing committee has met to interpret the roadmap for Phase Two and makes the following recommendations. From the 8th of June, for those living in the county or up to 20km from home, whichever is the larger distance:
Social distancing requirements still apply.
The Commodore and Committee of Skerries Sailing Club is committed to complying with Government pandemic emergency regulations and with the subsequent recommendations of sailing’s governing body, Irish Sailing, but warns members that these provide no guarantee that they will not contract Covid 19 while attending Skerries Sailing Club. We are relying on members fully respecting the provisions implemented by Skerries Sailing Club but we cannot guarantee that all members will be in compliance. Neither are we in a position to ensure such compliance at all times.
To facilitate traceability entrants to the boat yard are requested to log in and out.
Apart from the yard facilities, no other club facilities will be available.
A restricted punting service, to facilitate a cruiser crane in and adhering to social distancing, can be provided on request.
By contacting the Sailing Secretary, Doire Shiels, SSC can provide supervised activity for single handed or household multi handed sailing. As per ISA recommendations, members should follow the fundamental principles for deciding to go afloat.
SSC boats will not be available for hire during phase two.
Provisionally Phase Three return to sailing commences on the 29th of June. The Sailing committee will meet again before this date to analyse the roadmap for phase three.
Irish Sailing have published their interpretation and recommendations for how sailing activities may be resumed for Phase 1 on the 18th of May should the RNLI and Coastguard Advisory notice be amended before then. A Phase One (provisionally 18th May) roadmap for return to sailing outlines activities and compliance. The SSC sailing committee has met to interpret the roadmap for Phase One and makes the following recommendations.
From the 18th of May: for members living within the 5Km restriction zone: > The boat yard and rear shed will be open to facilitate boat maintenance ensuring full compliance with social distancing; no more than 4 people should gather. Please be aware that no insurance cover is available for contracting COVID-19 while using the facilities or services of SSC. Everyone that enters SSC is responsible for their own actions and safety and must fully comply with COVID-19 procedure guidelines and protocols. > To facilitate traceability entrants to the boat yard are requested to log in and out. > No club facilities will be available. > The punting service cannot operate in phase one. > SSC will not be providing supervised activity for single handed or household multi handed sailing. Members should follow the fundamental principles for deciding to go afloat and do so at their own risk. > SSC boats will not be available for hire during phase one. > The Cruiser crane in may take place but SSC can not provide a punting service at this time.
Provisionally Phase two return to sailing commences on the 8th of June. The Sailing committee will meet again before this date to analyse the roadmap for phase 2.