2018 Summer Season Events
The following are events organised by or of interest to Skerries cruising sailors. As with all plans of this type, weather and other circumstances may bring about changes. Some of the events are listed as races but cruising in company has always been welcomed.
|15th||Irish Boat Jumble at Carrickfergus Sailing Club|
|21st||Launching of Cruisers on Skerries Pier|
|5th-7th||SSC Carlingford Race|
|1st-4th||SSC Isle of Man Race starting 20:00|
|2nd||BLUE AIR (Brian Lennon) to Isles of Scilly for 2 weeks
IDLE HOURS (Neal Roche) to Isles of Scilly
|HELM’S DEEP (Paul Harrison) to France|
|15th-17th||Irish Maritime Festival 2018 in Drogheda Port|
|23rd||Cruising Association Ireland trip to Greystones|
|Late June||ROCKABILL (Garry Owens) to the Severn Estuary (to mid July)|
|14th-24th||Cruising Association Ireland trip to the Clyde|
|15th||RHIANNON (Noel Lappin) to the Clyde joining CAI cruise, later Crinan Canal.|
|ETE (Padraig Coistealbha) to Clyde and Crinan canal around the same time.|
|End July and early August||PREMIER CRU (Alan Jackson) to Skelligs area.|
|18th||Cruising Association Ireland trip to Skerries|
|RHIANNON (Noel Lappin) to Anglesey for a week.|
|15th-16th||Cruising Association Ireland trip to Liffey|
Would you like to crew on one of the boats mentioned above?
- Please specify which boat or boats in the “Other Information” section below.
- No guarantees can be given that a space will be available.
[contact-form-7 id=”2515″ title=”Contact form 2 Crew Available”]
Are you a skipper looking for crew?
[contact-form-7 id=”2523″ title=”Contact form 3 Crew Wanted_copy”]
Visit the CREW FINDER PAGE!
Recent posts about Cruising are shown below.
Click on the title to see the full post.
- Tobermory VideosIn June 2019, Blue Air sailed non-stop from Skerries to Tobermory. The story of this trip is told in two videos. Skerries to Tobermory (20 minutes) https://youtu.be/ptFcunnOGN0 2. Tobermory to Skerries (40 minutes) https://youtu.be/e7MN0OHJHPg
- Excellent Sailing SimulatorIt's not everyday we see a good sailing simulator come on stream. The ESail simulator is getting very good reviews and deservedly so. Dowloading is slightly messy in that you need to install a utility called STREAM first but it's worth it. The cost of the simulator is about €20 and it works in both Apple and Microsoft. There are no hidden costs and updates will be free.
- Blue Air’s Trip to Scilly 2018Blue Air sailed out of Skerries on Saturday 2nd of June with its crew wondering where on earth we would get to. The fact that the Isles of Scilly had been the intended destination for the previous eight months was no guarantee we would ever reach them, given the previous year's frustrating experiences. In fact, one club member said, with tongue in cheek, that he would probably see us in Scotland! https://youtu.be/ax9W4GRuNyI
Read the full story below!
- Glorious Sunny Launch 2018The weather could not have been better as our cruisers returned to the water with full approval from the local seals. Fair Winds, Cheap Diesel and Sane Skippers for 2018!
- CRUISER CRANE IN 2018It’s that time of year again! Saturday 21st April! Remember to let the Cruiser Captain know (email@example.com) if you intend launching on that day. Remember too your insurance documents to show to a representative of Fingal County Council on the pier. You might also want to use a Pre-Launch Checklist! Whatever you do, safety is number one! Have a successful launch ...
- IRISH BOAT JUMBLEThe now annual Irish Boat Jumble takes place on 15th April in Carrickfergus Sailing Club, Co. Antrim. Starts at 10.30 am. Carrickfergus is 165km from Skerries (by road) and is about a 2 hour journey. Here’s a chance to see the beautiful coast along the northern side of Belfast Lough. See Carrickfergus Club Website.
- Isle of Man via HowthLast weekend (19-21 May 2017) saw an interesting collaboration with Howth Yacht Club. HYC member Jill Somerville had organised to take a group of transition year students by boat to the Isle of Man. As they needed extra boat space, Blue Air was invited to join the expedition. https://youtu.be/QRiV1je4h1I Blue Air sat out for Howth on Thursday 18th at 15:00 and left Howth with most of the other boats on Friday morning around 05:00. Each boat carried 2-3 students, most of these aged 16 years.
- A Pontoon for Drogheda!Louth County Council have approved a pontoon for the port of Drogheda, to be located on the south side of the river near Scotch Hall and to be ready in time for next year's Maritime Festival!
- Barnageeragh Picnic!An invasion of dinghies and cruisers descended on the quiet bay at Barnageerah on Saturday 13th August 2016. This event had been organised by cruiser captain Kathryn Collins and, by all accounts, was a big success.
- Sail Trim TipsTwo video clips that contain tips about sail trim and come highly recommended by Paul Harrison.